Countries, Schools and People Building Peace
Countries, Schools and People building Peace is an eTwinning project implemented as part of a KA2 Strategic Partnership in the Erasmus + programme, in which the following schools have participated, Collège Victor Hugo, Lavelanet, France, Liceo Monna Agnese, Siena, Italy, IES Carles Salvador, Aldaia, Spain. This is a project to analyze the current European context and make pupils aware about tools and values to manage social, economic and environmental conflicts peacefully and efficiently.
Amparo Gras Rosello, project coordinator at IES Carles Salvador in Aldaia, has summed up all the phases addressed during the implementation of this ambitious project. A very useful example for other schools wishing to work on a KA2 Strategic Partnership in the eTwinning platform.
Project themes and objectives
From an observation of the current European and global context, we noted the presence of conflict in several areas: conflicts that give rise to problems related to social sustainability, conflict between human beings and the environment derived from a model of economic development and growth that creates problems of environment sustainability, the presence of various identities that generate conflicts in educational, social and personal areas. Conflicts are not managed peacefully due to the lack of tools to do so: knowledge, attitudes and values related to unity, participation, dialogue, tolerance and cohesion.
Based on these considerations, the schools in the School Association decided to work on PEACE with the project entitled:
COUNTRIES SCHOOLS AND PEOPLE BUILDING PEACE.
The objectives are:
– A better understanding of conflicts, armed or otherwise, in the 20th century in Europe, as well as current ones.
– Knowing and exploring initiatives related to unity, harmony and building peace in the 20th and 21st centuries in Europe.
– Knowing the artistic manifestations and expressions related to the subject in each country.
In the field of educational communities; schools and people:
– Knowing, comparing and analyzing the causes and consequences of conflict in the different schools.
– Knowing and sharing different initiatives for resolving conflict, and especially related to internal union and cohesion, which are being implemented at different schools and analyzing the results of their application.
– Developing a bank of resources and tools for building peace in our educational communities.
– Exploring social initiatives in our immediate surroundings and displaying them.
– Creating a community for practice on the subject.
– Using to communicate and share virtual collaborative spaces (blogs, websites, eTwinning Twinspace) and social networks.
Age of participating pupils: 13, 14 and 15 years old.
Curriculum areas and content addressed
Education for Citizenship and Human Rights, French as a Foreign Language and Spanish as a Foreign Language:
- Historical Memory: relations between France, Spain and Italy.
- Knowledge of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
- Values: empathy, solidarity, defence of personal dignity and education are human needs. In this respect, we must stress the importance of collaboration with NGOs working at both international and national levels and, most importantly, local levels.
- Knowledge of traditional and organic farming techniques to create a School Garden.
- Knowledge and application of the 3Rs at the School for the creation of an Environmental Group responsible for Environmental education in all daily areas.
Spanish Language and Literature, French and Italian:
- Chronological literary journey through the 20th century. Introduction to artistic creation derived from the vital and existential experience of writers who have lived through different periods of individual and/or collective conflict: existential, social and avant-garde poetry; the social novel, the experimental novel; protest, absurd or experimental theatre.
- Understanding how the historical and social context determines the worldview of the artist and how different techniques and tools are the result of those political, social, economic and cultural (artistic-literary) conditions.
Times (phases) and methodology chosen for the project.
2014/15 SCHOOL YEAR
- Project presentation to the Educational Community.
- Project Logo Competition.
- Project blog creation
- Twinspace Creation: https://twinspace.etwinning.net/3307/home
- Pupil Padlet presentation.
- High-school presentations in Twinspace:
- Attending Information Workshops given by the different National Agencies.
- First Skype contact between pupils from different partner countries.
DECEMBER 2014: Transnational Conference and Meeting in Aldaia:
- Official presentation of the project,
- Logo Competition Awards
- School Garden, Environmental and Recycling Workshops.
- Workshop on typical recipes and vocabulary at Aldaia Market with the collaboration of its traders.
JANUARY, FEBRUARY AND MARCH 2015:
- Implementing work for the creation of School Gardens in Italy and Spain.
- Setting up environmental groups in Spain and France.
- Experts in the field: history and society over the past 100 years in our countries, interviews with our elders and creating a timeline with the results of interviews and research. Work on the film “La lengua de las mariposas” (Butterfly).
- Creating Project Twitter account: @paisajedepaz.
- Skype videoconferences between students who will participate in the next Conference.
- Forming an International Section of Roberto Romaldo Journalism Competition in Siena.
- Implementation of Literary Journey, the voice of memory in partner countries.
- Preparation of the conference in Siena.
- Transnational Conference and Meeting in Siena. International collaborative workshops: music workshop (Bella Ciao lyrics and song analysis), Twiliterature workshop on “La lengua de las mariposas” (Butterfly) by Manuel Rivas, workshop making posters of all species of plants in the “Jardín de la sombra” (Shade Garden), interlinguistic analysis workshop (French, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Romanian …), journalism workshop … Final work and official opening of “Jardín de la sombra”, Peace Flashmob in the Piazza di Campo in Siena. Creation of closed Facebook group for the project. Assessment.
- Roberto Romaldo Journalism Competition awards announced.
- Skype Connection for the awards ceremony.
- Assessment and Monitoring of the first year of the project.
2015/16 SCHOOL YEAR
SEPTEMBER AND OCTOBER 2015:
– Team meetings.
– Continuation of activities started last year and introduced at schools that didn’t do it: School Gardens and Environmental Groups.
– Registration of new students in eTwinning
– Presentation of the new groups.
NOVEMBER AND DECEMBER 2015:
– Preparation of Conference in Lavelanet:
- Each school prepares a presentation with the programmes implemented to promote integration and coexistence.
- Each school’s own activities that will contribute to the final products:
- Aldaia: Visit to the shelter of the IES Luis Vives (secondary school) and the Council and route through Valencia, the Capital of the 2nd Republic. Work on migration, refugees and asylum.
- Lavelanet: Preparing the conference.
- Siena: Work on migration, refugees and asylum. Visit to the exhibition in Milan
- Each school prepares a dossier of news with three themes:
- News about immigration.
- News about the Environment.
- News about associations that promote environmental and/or social sustainability.
From 12-19 December 2015: Transnational Conference and Meeting in Lavelanet.
From January to April: preparation of the conference in Aldaia.
From 3-10 May: Conference in Aldaia:
- Recital, “Peace is in your hands”
- Solidarity Race and preparation workshops.
- Route in international groups around Valencia, the Capital of the 2nd Republic.
- Participation in the Teacher Training Workshops “Between Memory and History” at the Faculty of Geography and History.
- Workshop on freedom of expression with Amnesty International.
- Workshop on the manifesto against the agreement between European Union and Turkey on the management of the humanitarian crisis of refugees.
- Siena: Awards announced for the Roberto Romaldo journalism competition with the theme “Arricchiamoci delle nostri recipprochi diferenze”, “Our differences enrich us “
- Aldaia: “A cry for refugees” Project
- Grammar of Light Workshop: https://vimeo.com/123580211
- Summary of Conference in Siena: https://youtu.be/g0yChbTISkE
- “No és fem, són residus” Environmental Workshop: https://youtu.be/TZt0Gnsr5Hg
- Graphicsmemory of School Garden in Aldaia: https://youtu.be/0JGgLlO20GY
- Tribute at the Camp du Vernet in Ariège: https://youtu.be/b1hfPWFILxE
- Workshop on refugees: https://youtu.be/7BrexfVhciQ
- Shooting Script for the collaborative work: “Peace is in your hands” performed at the TAMA theatre in Aldaia, Valencia by students from the three countries:http://calameo.com/read/0025169550aa6a5d4c531
- Route around Valencia, the Capital of the 2nd Republic: http://calameo.com/read/00251695528e269f8714a
- Solidarity Race with Save the children from Burkina Fasso during the last conference in Aldaia in May 2016: https://youtu.be/htGU7zFZkXA
- Result of the collaborative writing workshop using actual documents from the department archives in Foix and a visit to the museum of deportation in Varilhes and the Vernet Museums and Cemetery in Ariège: https://madmagz.com/fr/magazine/722937#/page/4
Assessment and dissemination of the project
- Satisfaction surveys in the Twinspace: https://twinspace.etwinning.net/3307/pages/page/45140
- Dissemination tag in the project blog: http://cajaherramientaspaz.blogspot.com.es/search/label/Difusi%C3%B3n?max-results=20
Benefits for the school, teachers and students.
The internationalization of the school and cooperation between schools, pupils and teachers in different countries has increased intercultural awareness, active citizenship and critical thinking. The incorporation of innovative practices (methods, tools, collaborative learning, ICT use, open educational resources, student-centred learning, social networking, eTwinning …). Students and teachers have improved proficiency in foreign languages and digital competence. It has increased motivation for daily work, the desire to learn and to continue to work with European schools.
Amparo Gras Roselló
IES Carles Salvador in Aldaia. School Coordinating the Project.